Gavin Oudit (PhD, MD University of Toronto)
Department of Medicine
Clinician-Scientist, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute
AHFMR Clinician Investigator
Faculty Member, TORCH Program
460 Heritage Medical Research Center
University of Alberta
Canada T6G 2S2
He completed his BSc, MSc and MD studies at the University of Toronto. He then embarked on his training in Internal Medicine and the Clinician-Investigator Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, followed by completion of training in Adult Cardiology all at the University of Toronto. He completed a four-year post-doctoral fellowship in the molecular biology of heart failure and well as participating in the TACTICS program. He is board certified in Internal Medicine and Adult Cardiology.
His clinical activity places a primary emphasis on Heart Failure. He is also involved in the Consult Service, Ward Cardiology and CCU care. My heart failure clinic includes patients with iron-overload cardiomyopathy, Fabry's disease, metabolic disorders and idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. His research activities are diverse with a primary emphasis on Heart Failure and Arrhythmias. We are elucidating the molecular and cellular underpinnings of heart failure while also studying vascular and kidney diseases. The overall theme is translational. I am also spearheading the Explanted Heart Program at the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute. His research is currently being funded by major research organizations such as the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR), Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSFC), Canadian Diabetes Association (CDA) and Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research (AHFMR).
He is a full member of Canadian Cardiovascular Society (CCS), American College of Cardiology (ACC) American Heart Association (AHA), European Society of Cardiology (ESC), Heart Failure Society of America (HFSA) and the Heart Failure Association of the ESC. He is an external reviewer for multiple journals including American Journal of Physiology and Cardiovascular Research and for granting agencies including CIHR. He is an active review committee member for the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.
- Loss of TIMP3 Enhances Interstitial Nephritis and Fibrosis.
Kassiri Z, Oudit GY, Kandalam V, Awad A, Wang X, Ziou X, Maeda N, Herzenberg AM, Scholey JW.
J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009 Apr 30. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 19406980 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- The role of ACE2 in pulmonary diseases--relevance for the nephrologist.
Oudit GY, Imai Y, Kuba K, Scholey JW, Penninger JM.
Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009 May;24(5):1362-5. Epub 2009 Feb 19. No abstract available.
PMID: 19228756 [PubMed - in process]
- Cardiac regulation by phosphoinositide 3-kinases and PTEN.
Oudit GY, Penninger JM.
Cardiovasc Res. 2009 May 1;82(2):250-60. Epub 2009 Jan 15.
PMID: 19147653 [PubMed - in process]
- Decreased glomerular and tubular expression of ACE2 in patients with type 2 diabetes and kidney disease.
Reich HN, Oudit GY, Penninger JM, Scholey JW, Herzenberg AM.
Kidney Int. 2008 Dec;74(12):1610-6. Epub 2008 Oct 1.
PMID: 19034303 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase gamma is a critical mediator of myocardial ischemic and adenosine-mediated preconditioning.
Ban K, Cooper AJ, Samuel S, Bhatti A, Patel M, Izumo S, Penninger JM, Backx PH, Oudit GY, Tsushima RG.
Circ Res. 2008 Sep 12;103(6):643-53. Epub 2008 Aug 7.
PMID: 18688045 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Angiotensin converting enzyme-2 confers endothelial protection and attenuates atherosclerosis.
Lovren F, Pan Y, Quan A, Teoh H, Wang G, Shukla PC, Levitt KS, Oudit GY, Al-Omran M, Stewart DJ, Slutsky AS, Peterson MD, Backx PH, Penninger JM, Verma S.
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008 Oct;295(4):H1377-84. Epub 2008 Jul 25.
PMID: 18660448 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Effects of parenteral iron on inflammation and the myocardium in hemodialysis patients.
Sood MM, Oudit GY, Mohammadi H, Huang H, Lok CE.
Hemodial Int. 2008 Jul;12(3):362-8.
PMID: 18638094 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- A case of appropriate inappropriate device therapy: hyperkalemia-induced ventricular oversensing.
Oudit GY, Cameron D, Harris L.
Can J Cardiol. 2008 Mar;24(3):e16-8.
PMID: 18340383 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Loss of PTEN attenuates the development of pathological hypertrophy and heart failure in response to biomechanical stress.
Oudit GY, Kassiri Z, Zhou J, Liu QC, Liu PP, Backx PH, Dawood F, Crackower MA, Scholey JW, Penninger JM.
Cardiovasc Res. 2008 Jun 1;78(3):505-14. Epub 2008 Feb 15.
PMID: 18281373 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Circadian rhythm disorganization produces profound cardiovascular and renal disease in hamsters.
Martino TA, Oudit GY, Herzenberg AM, Tata N, Koletar MM, Kabir GM, Belsham DD, Backx PH, Ralph MR, Sole MJ.
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008 May;294(5):R1675-83. Epub 2008 Feb 13. Erratum in: Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008 Jul; 295(1): R369.
PMID: 18272659 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Role of PI3 kinase gamma in excitation-contraction coupling and heart disease.
Oudit GY, Kassiri Z.
Cardiovasc Hematol Disord Drug Targets. 2007 Dec;7(4):295-304. Review.
PMID: 18220729 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Comparative proteomics profiling of a phospholamban mutant mouse model of dilated cardiomyopathy reveals progressive intracellular stress responses.
Gramolini AO, Kislinger T, Alikhani-Koopaei R, Fong V, Thompson NJ, Isserlin R, Sharma P, Oudit GY, Trivieri MG, Fagan A, Kannan A, Higgins DG, Huedig H, Hess G, Arab S, Seidman JG, Seidman CE, Frey B, Perry M, Backx PH, Liu PP, MacLennan DH, Emili A.
Mol Cell Proteomics. 2008 Mar;7(3):519-33. Epub 2007 Nov 30.
PMID: 18056057 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Erythropoietin protects against doxorubicin-induced cardiomyopathy via a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent pathway.
Kim KH, Oudit GY, Backx PH.
J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2008 Jan;324(1):160-9. Epub 2007 Oct 10.
PMID: 17928571 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Left ventricular aneurysm in a patient with mucopolysaccharidosis type VI (Maroteaux-Lamy syndrome): clinical and pathological correlation.
Oudit GY, Butany J, Williams WG, Siu SC, Clarke JT, Iwanochko RM.
Cardiovasc Pathol. 2007 Jul-Aug;16(4):237-40. Epub 2007 Jan 16.
PMID: 17637432 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Loss of angiotensin-converting enzyme-2 (Ace2) accelerates diabetic kidney injury.
Wong DW, Oudit GY, Reich H, Kassiri Z, Zhou J, Liu QC, Backx PH, Penninger JM, Herzenberg AM, Scholey JW.
Am J Pathol. 2007 Aug;171(2):438-51. Epub 2007 Jun 28.
PMID: 17600118 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Angiotensin II-mediated oxidative stress and inflammation mediate the age-dependent cardiomyopathy in ACE2 null mice.
Oudit GY, Kassiri Z, Patel MP, Chappell M, Butany J, Backx PH, Tsushima RG, Scholey JW, Khokha R, Penninger JM.
Cardiovasc Res. 2007 Jul 1;75(1):29-39. Epub 2007 Apr 21.
PMID: 17499227 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Lithium-induced sinus node disease at therapeutic concentrations: linking lithium-induced blockade of sodium channels to impaired pacemaker activity.
Oudit GY, Korley V, Backx PH, Dorian P.
Can J Cardiol. 2007 Mar 1;23(3):229-32.
PMID: 17347696 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Role of phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase-gamma in the actions of glucagon-like peptide-2 on the murine small intestine.
Anini Y, Izzo A, Oudit GY, Backx PH, Brubaker PL.
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Jun;292(6):E1599-606. Epub 2007 Feb 6.
PMID: 17284578 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Images in cardiovascular medicine. Left ventricular aneurysm associated with mucopolysaccharidosis type VI syndrome (Maroteaux-Lamy syndrome).
Oudit GY, Butany J, Williams WG, Clarke JT, Iwanochko RM.
Circulation. 2007 Feb 6;115(5):e60-2. No abstract available.
PMID: 17283270 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Loss of angiotensin-converting enzyme-2 leads to the late development of angiotensin II-dependent glomerulosclerosis.
Oudit GY, Herzenberg AM, Kassiri Z, Wong D, Reich H, Khokha R, Crackower MA, Backx PH, Penninger JM, Scholey JW.
Am J Pathol. 2006 Jun;168(6):1808-20.
PMID: 16723697 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]